ictenglish - Introduction - Extension Reading activities for Y7-8

Subject: ICTs in English

Introduction - Extension Reading activities for Y7-8

  • From: Carol Kendall <c.kendall AT paradise.net.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Introduction - Extension Reading activities for Y7-8
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:39:12 +1300

Hi everyone

I'm a part time ICT teacher in Christchurch. Linking ICT to the primary
curriculum is my main role, working with both teachers and students. However
it looks like I might be taking an extension reading programme with Year 7-8
students (again linking with ICT), so I'm keen to hear of any ideas you have
for this. The students already have a class blog and that can be used as a
forum for publishing work, and I've just started a Library Blog for the
school. We also have a school Podcast. However, I keep looking for
opportunities for interaction that used to be on English Online. I'm keen to
know if we're going to see some of these things back - eg Book BackChat,
ReadHot, Reader's Cafe etc.

Any other gems you've found successful with extension for this age group
would be appreciated. I'll only be with them for an hour to an hour and a
half per week.

Cheers
Carol Kendall