Sympa Menu

ictenglish - Re: Introduction - Extension Reading activities for Y7-8

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: Introduction - Extension Reading activities for Y7-8

  • From: Carol Kendall <c.kendall AT paradise.net.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: Introduction - Extension Reading activities for Y7-8
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:38:52 +1300

Lovely to hear from you, Deidre! Thanks for sharing your blogs and wiki -
I've had a quick look and already found a gem I'd forgotten about - Skype an
Author. Did you ever try that?

These students are already into blogging, some with personal logins to the
blog that they even participated in from home (you'll see the work of some of
them at http://springstonroom6.blogspot.com/ and you can check the Book
Review format I recommended by clicking the Label for Book Review). They
enjoyed using the different structure. However, I hadn't thought of the
mentoring of less able readers. I'd really like to have them do some more in
depth critical reading themselves, and bounce around ideas - hence my
interest in the book backchat idea (not that I ever participated in the past
myself as I was out of the classroom). Right now I'm thinking about working
with a small selection of books or poems on an issue of some sort (eg
courage, decisions...), and working in a P4C manner (gotta learn that too!) .

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

Carol