ictenglish - Re: Introduction - ICT Activities

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: Introduction - ICT Activities

  • From: Jan Anderson <janderson AT methven.school.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: Introduction - ICT Activities
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:07:30 +1300

Hi Jan Anderson here from Methven Primary School.
Have you looked at using Availll - DVD literacy programme, we have used this along with integrating G rated x box games into our integrated planning. We had Canterbury University also bring out a wii for students to blog about there experience on the game. Look at our blog rm7methven AT blogspot.com ( work unedited!) The xbox and Availll combined were a fantastic experience in class.
We have been using a range of Web 2.0 tools in our classrooms - google sketchup. We are using Blooms and Gardiners throughout our reading activites - including incorporating "scratch" an animation programme. Students can retell stories, put a story into cartoon form etc. Scratch is a free download from MIT for both macs and p.c's. It has help cards you can print off for every step enabling students to interpret visual steps of simple programming and develop there own animation/game. A Queensland school Kurwongbah State School - kurwongbss.eq.edu.au/thinking/thinking.htm has some great sights for supporting your literacy program with ict and thinking skills intrinsically integrated.
Hope some of these help.
Jan