ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Re: How ICTs are being used to capture student voice

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Re: How ICTs are being used to capture student voice

  • From: Karen Melhuish <karen.melhuish AT learningmedia.co.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Re: How ICTs are being used to capture student voice
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:10:10 +1200

Good question, Claire:-)  ... and the links you shared, Rocky, are also good food for thought:-)

It's got me mulling over 'student voice' - and I think it depends on what we are capturing it for. The NZC clearly advocates working collaboratively with students and co-constructing learning with them. But we also don't want to overload ourselves with tonnes of data that needs editing, saving, backing up.....*sigh*....short and sweet and focused would be the way to go.

There are loads of tools out there [check out Top 100 Tools for Learning 2010 http://c4lpt.co.uk/recommended/top100-2010.html] but it's what we are using them for that counts:-)

For example...

1. Student voice as part of self-assessmentHow well did each student think they are meeting the success criteria?

- reflective journal (blog/wiki) [http://keycompetencies.tki.org.nz/Monitoring]

2. Student voice as part of feedback and teacher inquiryHow is my teaching impacting on my students?

- Interviews amongst the class, captured on e.g. Garageband, Audacity, Voicethread...
- anonymous survey (e.g. SurveyMonkey)
- quick feedback on how far they understand a lesson or a unit (e.g. Wallwisher www.wallwisher.com)

3. Student voice as part of building on prior knowledge and making connections to form learning goals/success criteriaHow can we find out what each student already knows - and doesn't know?
- Del.ici.ous, Evernote, Google Reader, RSS aggregators: gather links and related items on a topic
- Fins out what they know or don;'t know wth a survey (e.g. SurveyMonkey, Google forms)
- Construct a visual representation of connections they can make to key concepts (e.g. Inspiratiowww.inspiration.com/)
- Discussion related to key concepts can be neatly captured in well-chosen imges (e.g. Google Images / Flickr Creative Commons)
- What we know now, what we'd like to know, what we've learned - accumulating commentary as a unit progresses (e.g. wikis/Googlewave, Inspiration...)

OK, that's it, it's late and I've run out of thinking for today:-)
Cheers, all
Karen

Karen Melhuish
  |  Online Professional Learning

Twitter: virtuallykaren I Skype: karenmelhuish