Sympa Menu

ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Last week (of last term) on ICTs in English

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Last week (of last term) on ICTs in English

  • From: Amos Claire <c.amos AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: "ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz" <ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Last week (of last term) on ICTs in English
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:32:26 +1300
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Welcome back to Term Three!

During the holidays I was lucky enough to attend the Ulearn conference (where
I even got to meet a few of you face to face!). Thanks to the Core team for
yet another great Ulearn! Common themes dealt with at the conference were
around how quickly the world is changing and how student's are changing also
(the term Digital Natives was mentioned often). When it came to workshops I
attended several that dealt with Google Apps. I was particularly interested
in the development of Google sites, particularly when these are intergrated
with other Google apps such as embedded forms and calendars.

As any good conference does, I came away with many questions.

How are we meeting the challenge of faced paced change and meeting the needs
of increasingly diverse learners (I refuse to believe they are indeed all
digital natives). Also, how are we starting to integrate all of the great
software out there? Are you embedding apps into your wikis? Embedding forms
or calendars or videos into moodle?? It feels like it is no longer about one
software, but more about the effective integration of a whole range of tools
and strategies to meet specific teaching and learning needs. Your thoughts
(and own questions) are invited!

The last week of last term was a quiet week on the ICTs in English forum.

The following is the post I sent out during that week (any other
recommendations about who to follow is also invited!).

One idea that seems to be going down well is the idea of using Twitter as a
PLN (Personal Learning Network). All this really means is that you create a
Twitter account for yourself and simply "follow" people or companies that can
keep you updated and deliver you relevant links and readings to your home
page.

You don't even have to "tweet" yourself if you don't want to. I have only
recently got back into Twitter, and have found that it is really effective as
a kind of personal professional development tool that can be completely
tailored to my own needs and interests. Below are some of the people and
places I have been following:

Considering Twitter as a PLN!

Who you could follow on Twitter:

MinEducationNZ<http://twitter.com/MinEducationNZ>

Edscapes<http://twitter.com/Edscapes> PPTA Professional

edconnectnz<http://twitter.com/edconnectnz> Edconnect

tedtalks<http://twitter.com/tedtalks> TEDTalks Updates

TKINewZealand<http://twitter.com/TKINewZealand> Te Kete Ipurangi

TEDxAkl<http://twitter.com/TEDxAkl> TedxAkl

educationweek<http://twitter.com/educationweek> Education Week

TeachersTV<http://twitter.com/TeachersTV> Teachers TV

netsafeNZ<http://twitter.com/netsafeNZ> NetSafe NZ

SirKenRobinson<http://twitter.com/SirKenRobinson> Sir Ken Robinson | Los
Angeles
eschoolnews<http://twitter.com/eschoolnews> eSchool News

DigistoreNZ<http://twitter.com/DigistoreNZ> Digistore

Software4LnrNZ<http://twitter.com/Software4LnrNZ>

Interfacemag<http://twitter.com/Interfacemag> Interface Magazine | Auckland,
New Zealand

shiftingthinkng<http://twitter.com/shiftingthinkng> Shifting Thinking

NZCERPress<http://twitter.com/NZCERPress> NZCER Press

CoreEducation<http://twitter.com/CoreEducation> Core Education

nzcurriculum<http://twitter.com/nzcurriculum> NZC

Another good technique is to have looksy at who like-minded educators are
following, and poach from their list! You could check out:

ClaireAmosNZ<http://twitter.com/ClaireAmosNZ> That's me!

virtuallykaren<http://twitter.com/virtuallykaren> Karen Melhuish
fionagrant<http://twitter.com/fionagrant> Fiona Grant

Let me know who you recommend from the Twittersphere (including yourself!)
and how you use it.

All the best for Week 1!

Cheers

Claire
--
Claire Amos
Facilitator: ICTs in English community

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com