ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Re: Re: Last week (of last term) on ICTs in English

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Re: Re: Last week (of last term) on ICTs in English

  • From: Karen Melhuish <melhuish.karen AT gmail.com>
  • To: ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Re: Re: Last week (of last term) on ICTs in English
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:11:09 +1300

It was certainly a great few days (or, in my case, a few hours!) at ULearn.  On the plane back, I was sitting next to an ex-MP (who shall remain nameless) and we got talking about why you might use Twitter. I recall saying it was like standing by a fast-flowing river - you could let it pass you by for a few hours, but also dip a toe in every now and again to follow chat or take part yourself. I pop in a couple of times a day (although the iPhone makes it easier to go in more often..!)

You are spot on, Claire, when you point out the use of it for professional learning - I'd say 90+% of it, for me, is sharing information and ideas about education - and maybe a little bit is inane chat (but you need that, too, to build relationships online, I think;-)). At ULearn, there were some amazing 'a-ha' moments with people I'd only ever met on Twitter - and it was like I'd known them for ages.

I lurked through lots of people's followers to find one's I enjoyed reading (sounds spooky but it's only like being introduced to friends of friends), and also followed people whose conversations I enjoyed. Keyword searches pull out conversations on your favourite topics, too. After a while, it starts to snowball as your professional learning network (or PLN) grows.....

Feel free to browse my friends and followers - see you online;-)
Karen / @virtuallykaren

KAREN MELHUISH
eLearning Consultant  |  Core Education
Come to Learning@School  (Rotorua, February 23-25) - One of New Zealand’s premier conferences for learning and teaching.