Sympa Menu

ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Authenticity and Writing Portfolios

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Authenticity and Writing Portfolios

  • From: Kathryn Dick <kathryn.dick AT otagogirls.school.nz>
  • To: secondaryenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz
  • Cc: ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Authenticity and Writing Portfolios
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:53:07 +1300

Greetings all!

I am planning for the Creative and Formal Writing tasks and was wondering how authenticity is maintained for those of you who use online wikis or an electronic form of storage or display. Our experience has been to create all drafts in class with paper and pen, keep those drafts in the hands of the teacher and work towards a final submission. This year we'll be using the portfolio approach encouraged by the conditions in the tasks.

Ideally I'd like the students to post their work in its draft form on Moodle for them to return to and revise in later weeks or months but clearly this would mean a parent or similar could assist them if they too could see it.

I suspect the final product will be the one posted to the wiki and any draft work will have to remain in the hands of the teacher whether it be electronic or paper...the drafts won't be able to be posted to an individual's wiki unless it's the final piece.

What are your experiences with using web tools for this process? Are you going to stick to the tried and true? If you do use an online process already, where do you store your student work - do they email it to you?

Equitable computer access for all students in the cohort is still limited so this may become a dead issue but I am hoping some of you might share your ideas or thoughts on maintaining authenticity while wishing to step into the world of e-learning and online publishing.

Ka kite

Kathryn

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of Page