Sympa Menu

ictenglish - [ICTs in English] ICTs in English Weekly Update

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] ICTs in English Weekly Update

  • From: "Claire Amos" <am AT eggs.school.nz>
  • To: <ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] ICTs in English Weekly Update
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:18:35 +1300

ICTs in English Weekly Update

A quiet week on the forum, so I thought I would share some of the great webinars and PD opportunities that are on the horizon. There are many that would appeal to other curriculum areas, so feel free to forward this email to your colleagues. Have an awesome Week 9!

In this issue:

·         New Google Docs Discussion Feature

·         Google Apps Webinars

·         Upcoming Events

New Google Docs Discussion Feature

The other week Google announced an enhancement to the Google Docs commenting system. The enhancement is being called "discussions." Discussions will allow document collaborators to have threaded conversations in the margins of a document. By including the @ symbol before a collaborator's name you can reply directly to that person. Another option in discussions is the option to be notified via email of replies to your comments in Google Docs.

Right now discussions in Google Docs are only available for new documents. If you created a document prior to yesterday midday, it won't have the discussion feature enabled. Watch the video below to learn more about Google Docs discussions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7zmOYziFKZw

Source: http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2011/03/new-discussion-features-in-google-docs.html

Google Apps Webinars

A new round of Google Apps for Education Professional Development Webinars is on offer. These provide fabulous free PD for staff. (Click on the Register under each descriptor to go to the website).

Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Introduction to Apps Scripts
This webinar will cover a high level overview of Google Apps Scripts with basic example demonstrations. One of the advantages of Apps Script is that it lets you customize Google Apps to fit your organization needs.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Introduction to Google Docs
Explore Google Docs and learn how this suite of services can be utilized for productivity, communication and collaboration in the classroom. This webinar will also include a tour of the recent updates, classroom management strategies and a "Top 10" tips.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Taking advantage of templates in Google Apps
Learn how to harness the power of templates in both Google Docs and Sites. Organize your institution's standard forms and documents through your domain's template gallery.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Introduction to Google Calendar
This webinar will focus on using Google Calendar in the classroom.

You can also access archived webinars in our Google Apps for Education Resource Center.

Other Upcoming Events

NZATE/IFTE Conference

18-21 April

University of Auckland

This is the annual English conference this year, so start thinking internationally. Check out the conference site here.

Emerging Leaders Symposium

28-29th April 2011-03-28

Albany Senior High, Auckland

Did you know?

  • 10,000 of New Zealand's 50,000 teachers are nearing retirement age.
  • 50% of newly-qualified teachers leave the profession within the first 5 years.

We need to foster emerging leaders in education. We need to give them a voice and support them to develop a vision for the future of education, because soon that future will be in their hands. To this end, a group of emerging leaders have convened a two-day symposium in Auckland on 28th and 29th April 2011. Emerging leaders are invited to attend this 'unconference' to prepare a vision for the future of education in New Zealand-Aotearoa. This vision will be presented to Karen Sewell on the second day of the symposium.

What can you do?

EduCampAKL

Saturday 6th August, 2011

Epsom Girls Grammar School, Auckland

If you are new to the un-conference format, read about last year's event:

EduCamp is based on a user generated 'unconference' where the focus is on e-learning and education, sharing ideas we've discovered and learning from each other. Everyone is invited to participate in some way. The purpose of EduCamp is to both learn and contribute. No real agenda is set and it will be up to participants to determine the focus for the sessions, grow their learning, network and have fun! More including video ...

http://virtualnorth.blogspot.com/2010/07/learning-links-and-laughs-educampnz.html

http://acesnet.wikispaces.com/EduCampAKL+2011

EduCampWelly
21st May, 2011
Wellington College

Just wanted to announce EduCampWelly is taking place on May 21st, here in what will then probably be bleak and yet bracing Wellington.
To quote the blurb: "EducampNZ is a user-generated 'unconference' focused on e-learning and education.We're all about growing our learning, networking, and, of course, having fun! Everyone is invited to participate in some way..."

The organisers are keen to have individuals from across the NZ primary, ECE, secondary, tertiary sector involved - as well as those from the MOE and beyond. Teachers, administrators, geeks and non-geeks are all welcome.

It's about having some input, sharing ideas and listening to others who are all about making education, learning and our place on the planet better.

The venue is Wellington College - a big thank you to them for their generosity and wifi. There is no fee for attending. There is no food or drink provided, but one of Wellington's friendliest wine establishments is nearby, as well as a limited assortment of cafes and golden arched eateries.If you attend, you're responsible for contributing, challenging and considering. If you don't attend, you won't get to see the historic glory that is the Basin Reserve.

Direct all questions, thoughts, and ideas to the wiki.
http://educampwelly.wikispaces.com/

Cheers

Claire

Claire Amos