Sympa Menu

ictenglish - [ICTs in English] RE: Re: Re: Reading Planning

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] RE: Re: Re: Reading Planning

  • From: "Deputy Principal" <dp AT krs.ac.nz>
  • To: <ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] RE: Re: Re: Reading Planning
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:50:09 +1200

Hi Louise

Each of the sub tests have had specific skills identified (through our
PD cluster) that the children require to meet the demands of word
recognition, sentence / paragraph comprehension or the use of vocabulary
in a text. When the teachers analyse the results of the assessment,
(particularly with target children / groups), they will be able to
identify their next steps in teaching.

The plan does not cater for the day to day guided reading planning -
this still needs to be reflected in the teachers' weekly plan where it
is far more specific and, in answering your other question, yes we do
run a task board rotation. We make great use of modelling books where
the direction for the week is set out, including:

* Learning Intentions and Success Criteria;
* Prior Knowledge activities;
* References to challenges in the text;
* Opportunity for formative assessment;
* Opportunity for the children to contribute;
* Follow up tasks.

Is it easy? Nope. Is it quick? Not really. Maybe for some.

However, for the first time in 19 years I am comfortable with my Reading
planning. While I am sure the children I previously taught certainly
did not suffer, I am confident that I will see some accelerated growth
through well planned, well informed, targeted teaching practice. I know
what their needs are....so do they. We also know what and how we are
going to meet these needs.

In saying that, our facilitators within the cluster (lead by Alison
Davis) work hard to ensure success for the teachers and children - as do
the lead teachers. The planning is just a small piece of the puzzle.

Bruce McMillan
Deputy Principal
Kelvin Road School

dp AT krs.ac.nz