ictenglish - [ICTs in English] ICTs in English Weekly Update

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] ICTs in English Weekly Update

  • From: "Claire Amos" <am AT eggs.school.nz>
  • To: <ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] ICTs in English Weekly Update
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:59:34 +1200

In the update:

* Using Facebook in English
* History of English Resource
* 5 great tools for 'speaking'
* Free PD Opportunity - ISTE unplugged!

Using Facebook in English

Last week we had this recommendation from Karen Melhuish - people might be
interested in the thread currently running on the Virtual Learning Network:
How might we use Facebook/social media to connect to our school community?:
http://www.vln.school.nz/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=61940&group_guid=53307

<https://webmail.eggs.school.nz/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.vln.school.nz/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=61940%26group_guid=53307>
. Several really useful resources have been shared here, plus various folk
exchanging their own experiences.

Also, make sure you check out Facebook in Education
http://www.facebook.com/education <http://www.facebook.com/education> for
lots of great tips and resources.

History of English

'Free Technology for Teachers' shared a great resource: The History of
English <http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLA03075BAD88B909E> is a series
of ten short videos providing an overview of the history of the English
language. Each animated video covers a different era in world history. The
videos, developed by Open Learn <http://www.open.ac.uk/openlearn/> , are
available on YouTube and iTunes
<http://itunes.apple.com/itunes-u/the-history-english-in-ten/id446081667> .
You can check out the entire playlist here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLA03075BAD88B909E

5 online 'speaking' tools/websites

Each week I will be sharing 5 online tools and/or websites to support the
teaching of each of the six strands of English. First up is 'speaking'. Here
are five free tools to support the teaching (and assessing) of speaking. I
would love to hear your recommendations as well...as I have only shared the
tip of an iceberg here.

* http://www.englishcentral.com/ <http://www.englishcentral.com/> -
(this looks amazing!) English Central makes improving your English fun and
effective by turning popular web videos into powerful language learning
experiences. EnglishCentral users watch videos, learn vocabulary, speak aloud
and receive instant pronunciation feedback. EnglishCentral's content is
organized by goals and topics, making it easy for you to find videos and
vocabulary relevant to your reason for studying. All of your progress is
tracked and you can compete with others for top ranking
<https://webmail.eggs.school.nz/rankings> . Choose videos by goal, topic or
difficulty level - watch what you want to watch. View accurate subtitles, get
in-context definitions, hear videos slowed down or compare your speech to a
native speaker.Study vocabulary <https://webmail.eggs.school.nz/learn> by
video or Topic. Watch word-based playlists for multiple usage examples.
Master vocabulary over time with our research-based interval learning system
that manages what you should study when. Record videos
<https://webmail.eggs.school.nz/speak> in your own voice. Get immediate
pronunciation feedback. Compare your speech to native speakers'. Correct your
pronunciation challenges with expert help videos, focused practice sessions
and personalized progress tracking.
* http://mailvu.com/ <http://mailvu.com/> - What is mailVU? The
easiest and fastest way to send private video messages to family, friends,
and business associates. There is no software to download, and you can record
video mail from any computer with a webcam. Why should I use mailVU? Family
members can stay in touch with loved ones with video and audio, almost like
being there in person. Grandchildren can say hello to grandparents, spouses
separated by distance can see each other more often, and friends can share
video mail on what they are doing. Unlike YouTube, mailVU provides private
video email between people, so there is no worry about anyone else on the
Internet having access to it. Personalized video greeting cards can be sent
to friends and loved ones in a matter of minutes.
* http://vocaroo.com/ <http://vocaroo.com/> - Instant online voice
recorder (or get your students to use the mobiles, most have voice recorders)
a great tool for recording and reviewing oral presentations!
* http://www.howjsay.com/ <http://www.howjsay.com/> - Free Online
Dictionary of English Pronunciation, you simply type in the word and hit
submit!
* http://www.englishonline.org.cn/en/taxonomy/term/145
<http://www.englishonline.org.cn/en/taxonomy/term/145> # - Teaching Speaking
- English Online (British Council) - a great resources with heaps of great
activities for teaching speaking.

ISTE2011 Live - Recorded online workshops

The free online workshop I mentioned last week is now available as a recorded
atchive, you can check it at: http://www.isteunplugged.com/
<http://www.isteunplugged.com/>

Title: #engchat: community, conversation and collaboration for English
teachers
resources, solve problems and connect our students.
Presenter: Meenoo Rami
Email & Other Links:
meenoo.rami AT gmail.com

<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=meenoo.rami AT gmail.com>