Sympa Menu

ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Re: Weekly summary 18 - 24th October

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Re: Weekly summary 18 - 24th October

  • From: Judy Lymbery <Judy.Lymbery AT vuw.ac.nz>
  • To: "<ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz>" <ictenglish AT mailinglist.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Re: Weekly summary 18 - 24th October
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 07:12:27 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-NZ, en-US

Just with regard to Game Based Learning I would be really interested to hear
from anybody who is using games in the classroom. I am engaged in some
research about the changing learning styles of the net gen kids and would be
keen to talk to some students about how they find the use of games for
learning.
Please contact me at
Judy.Lymbery AT vuw.ac.nz<mailto:Judy.Lymbery AT vuw.ac.nz>

Thanks in advance!
Judy
Sent from my iPad

On 31/10/2011, at 1:56 PM, "Hamish Chalmers"
<hchalmers AT ashs.school.nz<mailto:hchalmers AT ashs.school.nz>>
wrote:

Hi everyone,

Some of our people here are still buzzing about Ulearn! I’d be interested to
hear any opinions on the various ideas and thinking the conference sparked
off. One of my colleagues here was pretty amped about some of the things DK
had to say in his keynote. Considering how students relate to ICTs can be
really challenging but is essential if we want to keep finding ways to
further integrate learning with things they’re already doing.

Speaking of ICTs, computer
games<http://mailinglist.tki.org.nz/wws/arc/ictenglish/2011-10/msg00006.html>
and learning and engagement (was I speaking about computer games?) Judy
Lymbery just shared
this<http://wowinschool.pbworks.com/w/page/5268731/FrontPage> with me. Wow!
Jokes aside though, this got me thinking about ways to tie in some more
gaming content with our dystopian course here at ASHS. I’m pretty sure, on a
first consideration, that we could design tasks for most of the English
internals that used games for source material for creating meaning
assessments and game-related stuff for making meaning assessments. As for an
entire course that’s delivered in and around a game, wow!!!

In the next while I’ll also be editing some posts for the regular English
mail list. Please keep an eye out for them if you’re on that list and add any
replies you’d like, it would be great to add the voices of some fellow nerds!

Have a great week,

Hamish

Hamish Chalmers
Facilitator: ICTs in English