ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Welcome to 2012!

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Welcome to 2012!

  • From: Hamish Chalmers <hchalmers AT ashs.school.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Welcome to 2012!
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:59:47 +1300

I hope you’ve all had an excellent break. The wiki for study-able English texts has recently been opened up so that anyone can edit it. If you’ve lost the link or haven’t been there before, check this out.

Instead of ranting to people about information freedom, creative commons and just how ridiculously difficult hacking must be in real life, not to mention some of the anti-creative uses of various laws by certain governments, I’ve decided to suggest the reading of particular novels instead. If there’s any other texts that deal with technology in insightful ways that might also encourage our students to consider different perspectives and open them up to the awesome world of literature, get them on the wiki!

Personally, I can’t think of a better way to engage young people in reading. I’ve just added Corey Doctorow’s Little Brother as a suggestion for a year 12 novel. If you’re wondering about the suitability of potential texts concerned with technology, post away to get some discussion going, I may yet add some William Gibson and Neal Stephenson to the year 13 list.

Given the imminent arrival of our students, I thought it might also be worth listing the various links for the ICTs in English list:
·         the ICTs in English guidelines
·         archives of posts

Also, keep in mind the Teacher Resource Exchange. If you have any resources that might assist others in utilising ICTs in English, please let me know.

On a final note, the link on English Online to the various email lists formerly known as “interact” is now labelled “community discussion.” Hopefully this will make the lists easier for people to find.

Have a great first week!

Hamish Chalmers
Facilitator: ICTs in English
http://englishonline.tki.org.nz/