Sympa Menu

ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Weekly update, Mar 6 - 12

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Weekly update, Mar 6 - 12

  • From: Hamish Chalmers <hchalmers AT ashs.school.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Weekly update, Mar 6 - 12
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:44:23 +1300

Hi everyone,

You might have noticed the exciting title change from weekly summary to weekly update. I’ll be aiming to highlight more interesting resources and ideas in these weekly send-outs as well as summarise whatever activity there has been on the list.

As professional inquiries continue to get going here I’m continually surprised about how much I’ve still got to learn about getting an inquiry cycle going that actually positively changes practice and then outcomes for students. In looking over our google doc of our inquiries and conversing with others I was surprised how easy it still is to decide on what to look at for a first inquiry before even seriously approaching the focusing inquiry with an open mind - approaching it with the idea that we might not already know what the most important thing is for our students. Seeing initial goes at establishing inquiries around using Ipads, differentiating (doesn’t every class need that?) and which film to study really highlighted for me the cursory glance we can give to the question: “What is important (and therefor worth spending time on) given where my students are at?”

I could really do with a fancy ICT or piece of machinery that samples the atmosphere floating above a particular class and establishes the most (I’d even be happy an) important focus. In lieu of such amazing (and most likely gratuitously expensive) technology, this and the following pages have some great stuff on data gathering for the focusing inquiry, all of which I expect would be relevant for the learning inquiry stage too.

In terms of ICTs that actually exist, many staff here are using mahara (e-portfolio), google docs and posterous (can send emails which automatically go to a blog) to collect evidence at the learning inquiry end of things. There’s even a few still using paper and pen! Are there any other ICTs people are aware of that would be awesome for collecting and collating evidence from inquiries?

A heads up from Phil earlier in the week on a blog on a course that, “follows the development of a project that integrates teaching and learning for a range of subject areas through the production of a Visual Culture magazine.” Pretty amazing stuff! Here’s the link to the very first post which explains the whole thing. Darn blogs and their reverse chronological order doesn’t always help! My post on tomorrow’s webinar also morphed into some links to digistore for resources on figurative language.

Hamish Chalmers
Facilitator: ICTs in English
http://englishonline.tki.org.nz/

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.