Sympa Menu

ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English] Anyone creating visual texts in term 4?

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English] Anyone creating visual texts in term 4?

  • From: Hamish Chalmers <hchalmers AT ashs.school.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English] Anyone creating visual texts in term 4?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:40:49 +1300

Yeah totally!!! There's some really amazing techniques in the inforgraphics in the visual.ly entertainment category I've never seen being used like that (or taught for that matter!!!). Don't get me wrong, I still see a place for all those more traditional literary approaches we've used with static images but I also think the infographic approach (as you've said) gives some really helpful ideas on visual techniques to use to present detail. Detail being something that seems to be easy to overlook when creating static images in particular.

I guess we're all just used to be tied down to a single A3 page or panel. Perhaps we've also become used to thinking about visual texts (or static images at least) as not being all that good for presenting detail - as a written essay in comparison seems an easier way to encapsulate detailed ideas. But as you point out, there's some pretty darned cool techniques they use in infographics to present complex ideas.

I'd love to see what techniques teachers would consider the most important for developing an infographic assessment task, whether it's on a literary of film source text or even something more non-fiction. I could imagine inforgraphics that were on fiction could use both lots of techniques really well. Most of the visual.ly stuff in the entertainment category focuses more on structure/plot and characters (which probably lend themselves more to obvious detaily stuff) but I'm sure it would be possible to do something that presented both this and thematic stuff in a really cool way.

Hamish