ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English] iPads

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English] iPads

  • From: Pauline Henderson <he AT burnside.school.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English] iPads
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:12:46 +1300

Hello Karl

There are so many ways to use an iPad in an English class. I assume you want to use it yourself or are you thinking of it as a "class tool". one that students could use as well.
Here are some ways I have used mine.
1) I bought a dongle from an Apple certified seller  so that I can show stuff from my iPad to my data projector
2)Showing Ted Talks and other You Tube clips
3)I even showed a 1963 Disney movie to my class via my iPad
4) I take photos of notes I have written on the board, email them to myself(or students) and then upload to our LMS which is Moodle
5)Last year students operated the ipad while we videod speeches
6)I take photos of student work eg really good answer and show this on Data Projector
7)Students took photos of book covers and uploaded to the class wiki
8We created QR codes  and I use it to read QR codes
9)obvioulsy it is quick to google something. You might want to get a small group of students to research something you are teaching them.
10)Join the VLN- virtual learning network http://www.vln.school.nz/ There is an iPad users group.
11)Go to the educamp website https://educampnz.wikispaces.com/you may get some ideas there.
This is a NZ website for educamps around NZ. There are shared docs for each one and lots of ideas There were  3 dedicated iPad events last year so those wikis will be useful.
12) Final piece of advice- join Twitter - lots of amazing PD , links and ideas there. Feel free to follow me @PaulineHendog and see who I follow.
Hope this is enoughh to get started
One app at a time!
Please feel free to email me at school.