ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English] iPads

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English] iPads

  • From: Maria Persson <mariap AT waikato.ac.nz>
  • To: "ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz" <ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English] iPads
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:38:25 -0500

There is so much out there that your best bet is obviously to chat to others you are working with to find what they are using, liking and not liking!

I have found some great sources - reviews and blogs - which provide a number of opinions and outline the various functions of different apps.  However, don't be fooled thinking that there is one perfect app because there isn't.

Many apps need another to enhance each other, so we've found in our teaching area.

If you want to read about current applications being well received subscribe to this:image.png

As for using your ipad with any smart board - if you have a VGA adapter plug  - like you would use to attach to a laptop (but made for the ipad ) you can then use your ipad and the apps that way.  Another brilliant app which works with an existing computer and a projector is called 'Doceri' ( http://doceri.com/videos.phpand you can Remote Desktop with it, use the recording function, save it and then use it later to embed into any LMS. It is free but the paid version is so cheap...good for life!  The product support is by far the very best I have found so far.

ipad_vga_adapter1.jpg

Here is another interesting blog site related to your question re interactive board:
http://www.whiteboardblog.co.uk/2012/05/using-an-ipad-as-an-alternative-to-an-interactive-whiteboard/

Otherwise, enjoy the hunt and as Hamish reminds us - it's about what the needs of the students are and
how we can best serve them with our pedagogy and choice of tools!

From 'Wintery Canada' at the moment,
Maria
University of Waikato,
Hamilton, New Zealand