ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update – Text studies in the digital age

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update – Text studies in the digital age

  • From: Kelly Faulkner <kelly.m.faulkner AT gmail.com>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update – Text studies in the digital age
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 10:22:03 +1300

hi hamish. i do something like what you're talking about.

when approaching a new text, i always seek out critical essays on the text to supplement my reading. that's just how i've always done it.

for example, this year we are studying the filmmaking of quentin tarantino. as an introduction, i gave them a "scavenger hunt" of techniques to discover (heavily hinted at, since it's an introduction). then i presented signature techniques in conjunction with homework review. we then (luckily) we able to go to the cinema to see django unchained to see technique in action (w/a less-stressful text [unstudied]), which also contributed to their level 3 writing folio.

we then viewed text one (reservoir dogs). students were grouped into fours for notes (they have to take their own notes), and also for presentation 1: character analysis (analysed via technique in relationship to one of our theme). these were just presented, and as always for a first presentation in my class, were less than acceptable, as they haven't yet learned the value of sharing their presentation with me in advance for feedback (except for those who have been in my class before - their presentation was much better, as the whole class could tell). they have to follow up with revision, so their presentations can be uploaded to slideshare and put onto our wiki for revision later in the year.

they are currently working on assignment 2 for reservoirs dogs, which is specific technique analysis linked to theme. i provided a number of suggestions they could choose from (first come via email, first served, no double ups). all of them have already linked me to the presentations in progress, on day 1 - quick learners!

when we read a clockwork orange, i will do the same thing, by chapter. there will be seven groups, 1 per chapter per section. they have to provide their own-discovered critical interpretation of the text, in presentation form that is uploaded to either slideshare (or youtube, depending) and put on our wiki for revision.

in a survey of my year 13s last year, they all (100%) said that their group work was the best learning they did all year and the most helpful in preparation for exams.

i know that my teaching technique is different to my colleagues - i provide my students with very little in the way of notes. i prefer to guide their own learning process rather than supply them with "all the answers." i do offer heaps of feedback to them as they go, and sometimes provide my own "presentation" (more modeling than anything else) depending on what we're doing. i warn them on the first day that my class runs this way, so if that doesn't suit them they should see their dean immediately for a timetable change!

wow, this is the longest post i've ever made here, but i am proud of my students' work. i've gotta run, so it's unedited, which makes me nervous to send, but i've got a kid at a competition this morning and have to leave!

Kelly Faulkner
AHOD, English Department
Napier Boys' High School
Chambers Street