ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update - More goodness on technology helping with feedback and reflection

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update - More goodness on technology helping with feedback and reflection

  • From: Karen Melhuish Spencer <karen.melhuishspencer AT core-ed.ac.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update - More goodness on technology helping with feedback and reflection
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:48:12 +1300

Kia ora Debra,

First of all, well done for being so open about an aspect of your work that's a bit crunchy. It's always 'deep breath' time to commit the tricky stuff to paper in an open forum such as this so well done for that. Your question may well be one that others are asking so we all gain by you posting it here;-)

You raise an interesting question which might also have relevance on other forums, too, such as the English forum. I've suggested some online resources further down my post.

In terms of your students' particular needs and strengths, you may find that a diagnosis of autism or Asperger's tells you only part of the story. The spectrum is pretty broad and no two students, even with the same diagnosis, will have the same needs or strengths. You are right that such diagnoses provide an indication of where needs might lie and so the next steps for us as teachers is to find out more about what each student brings in with them. The students to which you refer will have passions, interests and abilities that may be masked by the diagnosis - and their needs may be quite specific and not necessarily related to concepts to do with empathy. So, I would encourage you, and others in the same situation, to work closely with your learning support staff, the students and their families, to be familiar with the students' themselves as well as their IEPs and maybe to look at some of the resources available online. For example:

Let your close knowledge of your students' interests, strengths and needs help you choose appropriate texts that will help them engage where they are at. Students with ASD may welcome exploring this condition in a literary text - but equally they may find it too personal, or there may be other texts that interest them more. I know one student with ASD who would much prefer graphic novels and stories related to science-fiction.

The other issue you raise is the ability of your students to understand that texts have multiple viewpoints. This, I think, may be a separate issue to that related to their IEP. With careful scaffolding, modelling and co-construction, students may well be able to understand that texts can offer more than one viewpoint or voice. One does not necessarily need strong empathy to appreciate text construction (I would argue). I know, for example, of one student (who happened to have Asperger's) who was incredibly insightful when it came to textual analysis and made some startling connections between and across texts. This may or may not have been related to the diagnosis he had. The English Online forum might be a good place to ask for further ideas about ways to teach textual analysis effectively at Year 10:-)

I guess what I saying is that it's really important for us to understand students' diagnoses thoroughly, if they have them - and indeed every student brings with a kete of specific needs, diagnosis or not….. but also to look beyond them to the students themselves, the amazing potential and strengths that they bring, the passions they have and their prior knowledge - and springboard off those.

Phew! Does that help?
Ngā mihi nui
nā Karen

Karen Melhuish Spencer