ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update - More goodness on technology helping with feedback and reflection

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update - More goodness on technology helping with feedback and reflection

  • From: Roimata Baker <roimata AT terito.school.nz>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English] Weekly update - More goodness on technology helping with feedback and reflection
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:11:16 +1300

Really useful feedback.

Nga mihi
Roimata

On 18 March 2013 01:27, Louise Munro <fammunro AT ihug.co.nz> wrote:

When I worked at Te Kura, I taught many students with huge learning challenges around recognizing the points of view and the emotions of others (including characters in texts) who were able to gain L1 and L2 UE literacy from within English. There were other aspects that they coped with far better and I would focus their study on these – starting with mapping the narrative then, perhaps, the setting, this was a way in on tasks that don’t require huge interpretation.  There are some great free apps and sites for making timelines and, if the novel was a travel one, to map the setting/journey. They may be ok to do some background research on aspects of a text and that may lead into some identification of values.

However, I focused on formal (rather than creative) writing and research tasks as this allowed students who were obsessive about particular topics to pursue these and to stay in the non-fiction and factual genres which were often easier to understand.  It may be that the learning challenge of making connections or interpretation of author’s purpose will take time to develop or their connections might be unconventional. Providing structures and templates for writing and responding and insisting on these being completed to their best helped but there were some assessment tasks that they would not be able to achieve in the conventional modes of assessment. Tables completed in groups (quotes in one column/explanation/what it means in second ) could help with connections  then modelled structured sentences/paragraphs. It will be great when we are not so ruled by specific, pre-planned  assessment schedules and can capture the ‘golden moment’ in a student’s work and apply the most appropriate assessment schedule at the time as I was constantly surprised with perception at random, unexpected times. This is the philosophy of the literacy and numeracy standards.

It also helped to have an IEP and a team of others (including parents) supporting so that interventions/approaches were focused and consistent across subjects. A bank of ‘can-dos’  and ‘must-dos’ that took into consideration their strengths meant that there were opportunities for students to show their skills and the encouragement to stretch them, too. Last year, I had a student who was unable to speak in front of a group (as opposed to the others who would vehemently prefer not to!) and I insisted that they prepare and write their speech and kept encouraging them to have a go, to perhaps choose a couple of friends for an audience or to record it digitally – I couldn’t assess the oral text but I could assess the formal writing and the research completed along the way. Perhaps it is a matter of choosing assessment tasks carefully for these students and allowing them to reach their potential and accepting that this is OK. Now that English is no longer the only gateway for literacy, it may be that this is gained in another subject where they can be more literal.

Thankfully, I teach in a school where it is safe to be an individual learner – by that I mean that other students were mostly understanding and encouraging of these students – so there was never a ‘it’s not fair’ uttered – in my hearing.

Re The Curious Incident… It is a deceptively simple novel and if a student is unable to identify with other characters, they will still struggle to see that there is a connection between themselves and the main character. It is, however fun to map the narrative and great to create a setting map. It’s worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Louise Munro