Sympa Menu

ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English]

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English]

  • From: vijayan cr <vijayancr23 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English]
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 22:18:10 +0530

This article on ICT is worth reading and I rejoiced at reading it
Thanks
Vijayancr23 AT gmail.com(09496414415)

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Marshall Gass <gassmarshall184 AT gmail.com> wrote:
 Information and CommunicationsTechnology has contributed well in excess of 200,000 new terminlogies to the English Language. We use such basic terms as RAM, ROM, USB, WI-FI, ISP, OS, HTML,CSS, Android and a thousand others in everyday language as if they just came to be there. Behind each of these acronyms is a technology that has a history of creative ideas and concepts that we take for granted and often do not know how it came to be there.
Students of today live in a Technological world that is generating ideas and concepts at an incredible pace. Even before you know it someone somewhere is creating a new form of ROM or RAM, a new USB, a better Protocol, a more advanced OS or a completely new technology that we rarely get to know until it hits the marketplace. The smarter student will always keep ahead of these innovations and 'watch' at the cutting edge of design and construction. Unfortunately for the vast number, using the acronym, means little. That is, until we tell them how it came about and why it came about. We can use these terminologies all day long and never really discover the innovative processes that bring them to light. These things happen more in business R & D labs and we get to use them in school yards many weeks after they are branded and sold at an exorbitant price.
Whatever the terminology, we must remember that it came from somewhere and someone and the concepts kept 'marrying' each other to give birth to newer technology 'kids'.Strangely enough the most innovative technologies were designed by students who had little or limited knowledge of the background but a desire to do it afresh!
Maybe we should be running courses in our schools to encourage students to re-visit the older, redundant ones and spit and polish them to fit into the newer models. Maybe we should break open each of these 200,000 or more terminologies and find out how the concepts behind these ideas created a whole new world of technologies ( and acronyms!). Maybe we should have a new Technology Dictionary with each of these acronyms described in detail?
Tomorrows world needs better data storage, transmission, design, material and data management technolgies to keep pace. Why dont we begin at the schoolyard?"
Marshall E Gass
Marshall E Gass
De La Salle College
81 Grays Ave PO Box 86001