Sympa Menu

ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Pasifika Update

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Pasifika Update

  • From: Catriona <catriona.pene AT core-ed.ac.nz>
  • To: "ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz" <ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz>
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Pasifika Update
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:54:44 +1200

Pasifika Literacy Update 4

"We do not really see through our eyes or hear through our ears, but through our beliefs.”

L. Delpit – The Silenced Dialogue

Talofa lava,

I hope all of you hardworking teachers are enjoying the last day of term and are looking forward to a well-deserved break.

I work in the theatre and I’m currently directing/producing a show called ‘Shine’ that addresses the issue of youth suicide prevention and encourages the audience to think about the many ways in which our young people excel, and how we might support them and “let them shine”. This led me to including in this week’s post, Lisa Delpit’s 10 rules.

If you haven’t come across her work before, Delpit is an American educationalist and author. She writes about the American education system and how it systematically disadvantages poor, urban children. I think that perhaps at this time – in a city where we have many people living below the line to encourage awareness of economic disparity – it might be useful to recognize that some of the principles that she applies to her communities are also relevant here.

Ten Factors Essential to Success in Urban Classrooms

1. Do not teach less content to poor, urban children, but understand their brilliance and teach more.
2. Whatever methodology or instructional program is used, demand critical thinking.
3. Assure that all children gain access to "basic skills," the conventions and strategies that are essential to success in American education.
4. Challenge racist societal views of the competence and worthiness of the children and their families, and help them to do the same.
5. Recognize and build on strengths.
6. Use familiar metaphors and experiences from the children's world to connect what they already know to school knowledge.
7. Create a sense of family and caring in the service of academic achievement.
8. Monitor and assess needs and then address them with a wealth of diverse strategies.
9. Honor and respect the children's home and ancestral culture(s).
10. Foster a sense of children's connection to community - to something greater than themselves.

Perhaps if we interpret some of these things for our own classrooms we will make the world of our students a better place.

All the best for the holiday break,

Michelle Johansson

Pasifika Facilitator

Literacy/English/ESOL Online

http://englishonline.tki.org.nz/

JPEG image

  • [ICTs in English] Pasifika Update, Catriona, 09/27/2013

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.18.

Top of Page