ictenglish - [ICTs in English] Literacy for Māori Learners Update – Week 6

Subject: ICTs in English

[ICTs in English] Literacy for Māori Learners Update – Week 6

  • From: Chris McLean <chris.mclean AT core-ed.org>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: [ICTs in English] Literacy for Māori Learners Update – Week 6
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 06:54:42 +1300

Kia ora everyone,

The last couple of weeks have been productive for Māori learners, particularly related to boys and reading. I would like to thank Fuatino Leaupepe and Jo Buchan from the National Library for their feedback and the many resources they provide for reading. I have included their links in this update so please browse these to support reading initiatives in your kura.

Ngā mihi ki a Neale Pitches of Lift Education and CSI Literacy who provided valuable feedback around boys and reading. Neale challenges educators to expose boys to a wider number of genres and a broader range of topics, and that we should not limit boys’ reading topics related to sport or cars etc.

Research findings highlight that when boys are given engaging texts, non-fiction (content) and inclusive pedagogies (including digital media when appropriate) boys make strong progress and not at the expense of girls! Follow this link for more information.

This great article questions issues around boys’ literacy.

It raises the following questions around reading and boys:

·       Should we compare boys with girls?
·       Should we compare Māori with non-Māori learners?
·       Is the deficit between boys and girls really about boys, or is it about a system that is not currently meeting their needs?
·       If the current system is not meeting the needs of boys - what are solutions to encourage and uplift literacy amongst boys?

 Follow these links for information about reading at the National Library:

  ·       Resources for creating readers, together with a blog devoted to engaging readers.

·       Reading at home

·       Boys and reading

·       Engaging teens with reading

·       Libraries supporting Māori learners

·       Reading aloud

·       Summer slide and holiday reading

Grasshopper Apps and Literacy

I have been playing around with Grasshopper apps on my ipad with my son Te Para over he last couple of weeks. English is his second language and since we have incorporated various apps and Reading Eggs online his reading has improved greatly. Grasshopper apps are free and what I love about them is you can customize them in any language, add your own voice and those of your learners. I am currently using the Bitsboard app and highly recommend it to you to try with your learners. This app includes 13 different games to reinforce learning for each board you create.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this discussion over the previous fortnight. Keep up the great work with our Māori learners in your kura.

Ngā mihi,
Jason Ruakere

Māori Facilitator
Literacy/English/ESOL Online
http://englishonline.tki.org.nz/

  • [ICTs in English] Literacy for Māori Learners Update – Week 6, Chris McLean, 11/22/2013