ictenglish - Re: [ICTs in English] Literacy with Māori learners Update Thursday 13th March 2014

Subject: ICTs in English

Re: [ICTs in English] Literacy with Māori learners Update Thursday 13th March 2014

  • From: Jason Ruakere <jason.ruakere AT core-ed.org>
  • To: ictenglish AT lists.tki.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [ICTs in English] Literacy with Māori learners Update Thursday 13th March 2014
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 19:42:02 +1300

KIa ora Jenny,

Super response and great strategies for learning vocabulary. Our six year old is enrolled at the Correspondence School and started learning to read and write in English for the first time last year. Te Reo Māori is his first language and is spoken in our home 80 percent of the time. My wife is his main teacher at home and each day involves her planning his lessons and taking the boys over to the marae to conduct their lessons. My wife teaches both boys through the medium of Te Reo Māori and English and this has helped our boys immensely as they can think, calculate and formulate their ideas in both Māori and English. Great for their developing brains!

We have integrated technology such online learning through Reading Eggs and Mathletics and utilised certain ipad apps to develop his story writing and oral skills. This extra support has helped our son to read and write at a level comparative to other children, but more importantly has helped to develop his confidence and his love for books. He is now loving the opportunity to teach his three and a half year old brother to read and write.

Ipad apps I have used are as follows:

Educreations which is great for writing and maths

Book Creator for writing

Tellagami is great for speech and oral skills

Bitsboard is one of my favourite because educators, learners and caregivers can customise this app to learn anything. I use it with my boys to learn vocabulary and phrases in both Te Reo Māori and English. The best feature of this app is that it allows learners to create their own story boards, by taking their own images and recording their voice. This is one of the best language learning apps out!

Sock Puppets is a super fun app to encourage dialogue between learners of all ages. It is easy to use and creative.

Comic LifeComic Book and Strip Design are apps that my son enjoys using to write stories.

Kia kaha e hoa,

Jason Ruakere
Literacy Online Facilitator for Māori Learners